2019 Ten Worst Roads
Atlantic Canadians voted from March 26 to April 16, 2019, and the results are in:
1. Tripp Settlement Road (Keswick Ridge, N.B.)
2. Waterford Road (Waterford, N.B.)
3. Markland Road (Colinet, N.L.)
4. Indian Meal Line (Torbay, N.L.)
5. New Brunswick 905 (Petitcodiac, N.B.)
6. Meadowville Station Road (Pictou, N.S.)
7. Witless Bay Line (Trepassey, N.L.)
8. New Brunswick 480* (N.B.)
9. South Uniacke Road (Mount Uniacke, N.S.)
10. Pine Glen Road (Pine Glen, N.B.)
About Worst Roads
CAA Atlantic’s annual Worst Roads campaign provides a platform for Atlantic Canadians to make roads safer by telling municipal and provincial governments which roads need attention the most. It also helps governments understand that roadway improvements are a priority for citizens.
All roads in Nova Scotia, Prince Edward Island, New Brunswick and Newfoundland and Labrador were eligible. All road users – including cyclists, pedestrians, motorists and users of public transit – were encouraged to cast their vote and make their opinion count.
The Dollars and Cents
When it comes to pothole damage, poor road conditions present a clear cost to drivers. Research suggests that Canadians are paying as much as $1.4 billion each year due to potholes. More than 50 per cent of drivers have experienced damage to their vehicle from a pothole, and 32 per cent have paid between $250 and $500 on pothole-related vehicle damage within the last five years. The damage to vehicles ranges from punctured tires and bent wheels to more expensive suspension issues.
It's Not Just About Potholes
Potholes aren’t the only reason to vote for a road as the worst – consider scary intersections, traffic-causing bottlenecks, unclear road signs, dangerous crosswalks or unsafe bike lanes when voting.
2018 Ten Worst Roads
1. New Brunswick 616 (Keswick Ridge, N.B.)
2. Pine Glen Road (Pine Glen, N.B.)
3. Brae Harbour Road (Coleman, P.E.)
4. Markland Road (Colinet, N.L.)
5. New Brunswick 101 (Hoyt, N.B.)
6. Orangedale Iona Road (Orangedale, N.S.)
7. Fraxville Road (New Ross, N.S.)
8. Université Avenue (Moncton, N.B.)
9. Mabou Mines Road (Mabou, N.S.)
10. Louisville Road (River John, N.S.)
*The New Brunswick 480 runs between Rogersville and Kouchibouguac.